It is important to gain experience guiding and supporting women and their families through pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum. This step requires you to find a pregnant family to provide support. You may charge families for your doula support or work as a volunteer.
To document this step you complete a simple form with the date, name of parent(s), and brief details.
How to find births to Support
-Participate in the Accelerated Doula Program (located in Sacramento, CA)
– Attend a childbirth class and ask if you can make an announcement to the class that you would offer support to a couple for their birth
– Ask friends or family members
– Shadow a doula, labor nurse, or midwife on duty
– Go to a mom’s support group like La Leche League and ask for volunteers
– Ask people you know well to ask their friends or family members