This program is a great starting point for those interested in the field of maternal child health. It is ideal for midwifery students, nursing students, childbirth professionals, and others.
Doula Certification Practicum Program
Course awards 18 continuing education hours from the CA Board of Registered Nurses
This is a 6 month practicum volunteer doula training program for those residing in the Sacramento area or willing to relocate for the program term. Participants will have the opportunity to put their knowledge to practical use providing doula care and labor support to birthing families right after their doula training workshop.
We arrange experience hours at four Sacramento hospitals in the Dignity Health system: Mercy General, Methodist Hospital, Mercy San Juan, and Mercy Hospital of Folsom.
Students are expected to fulfill a minimum of 15 hours of call each month.
Successful participants may remain in the program beyond 6 months and a reference will be provided for participants professional resume.
Accelerated Program Requirements
Our program is digital; any documents needed are easily completed online.
1. Students must apply and be accepted into the program
2. Students must submit one reference with application
3. If accepted into program pay tuition fee of $495 (partial scholarships may be available)
4. Complete in-person or online doula training workshop (fee is covered by tuition)
5. Read required books (cost of books is not included)
6. Agree to be a CPI volunteer doula for minimum of 6 months serving at least 15 hours each month
7. Provide successful doula care to minimum of 6 families (no packet or long forms to complete)
8. Participants must comply with hospital requirements:
— Current proof of negative PPD skin test
— Current vaccination record showing immunity for: Rubella, Rubeola, Mumps, Varicella zoster, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap), Hepatits B
— Current proof of Flu shot or declination of shot (available at no charge through hospital)
— Background check $60 paid by participant (waived for current Dignity Health employees/volunteers)
— Drug screening $65 paid by participant (waived for current Dignity Health employees/volunteers)
Certified Doula Certificate is awarded upon completion of all requirements.
Certification lasts 4 years and is renewed by submitting 8 contact hours, and paying $100 renewal fee.
The Doula and Labor Support course awards 18 continuing education hours from the CA Board of Registered Nurses and 18 contact hours from Childbirth Professionals International
- Online training also available (ongoing)
- Click for training calendar
We are happy to answer any questions.
Call or text 916-525-7596; California Time
Applying for Program
Only apply if you intend to start this program within 30 days of your application being approved.
You need 1 reference for your application to be complete.
Have the individual giving you a reference complete this form You can email them the link: https://thechildbirthprofession.com/complete-doula-reference
Applications are processed within 5-7 business days. You will receive an email with the results.